Saturday, February 10, 2018

SOTA - Frary Peak

Had an awesome afternoon activating Frary Peak (W7U/NU-073, or DN30vx). This peak is located on Antelope Island, in the southeast corner of the Great Salt Lake, in the "Antelope Island" state park. As a Utah state park pass holder, all I had to pay was $2 to drive across the causeway, so it was a cheap way to spend an afternoon.

It being so early in the year, the peak is usually covered in snow and the upper parking lot was closed, so that added about 1/2 mile each way to what's generally a 3.3 mile hike/climb, with 2100 feet of elevation gain. The trail's been rerouted since I last summited, and I really like the new route. It's a lot safer - it passes south along the west side of the summit, just below the actual summit. Then it switchbacks north. So much easier on the knees.



Starting off the climb. It was in the lower 40's with a stiff wind. All the exertion of carrying a heavy pack allowed me to hike in warm pants and a light long-sleeve tech shirt.

The approach is from the north and generally follows the ridge, with some pretty stunning views of the Great Salt Lake, as well as the Wasatch range.


Just in case you weren't paying attention, this is a trail. ;)


Looking west off the lower trail. The rise in the distance is "Elephant Rock"


Looking to the NW across the Great Salt Lake


Again to the NW over the Great Salt Lake.

After a fairly strenuous hike, you traverse about 200' below the summit, headed south on the west side of the summit. This traverse is mostly new - it used to end with basically scrambling straight up, which was pretty intimidating. A local ham who loves the island worked hard to get some Boy Scout crews together to redo the trail. It's very nice now.



Finally, you're there! This is the original survey marker from 1892. There's a round marker in the rocks just to the south of this.


Without further ado, in temps around 30 with a slight breeze (enough to evaporate any warmth in a hurry) I went about setting up my SOTA station.


KX3, with 12v 5ah SLA battery - ugh, so heavy. Picking up a 14.4v 4 AH LIPO RC battery soon, I hope. What I love about the KX3 is that it's half the weight of my old FT817, can output as much as 15 watts, and has a tuner built in. Right there it's saved me a ton of weight!


I haven't taken the time to build my SOTA antenna (half wave wire antenna with a matching box at the end), so I lugged my Buddistick up with me this time. I've only made a couple contacts on this in the past, in spite of owning it for 4-5 years and trying valiantly! I wasn't sure what to think of it today, but it came through right along with the KX3!

This SOTA trip is a big deal to me. It's been (honestly) years since I last made a contact on HF. I've sold all my older gear, and bought an Elecraft KX3 which I recently built. After a week of hammering away on HF bands here and there, I'd started to wonder whether it was my antenna, my coax, or actually my radio but I've not had a single contact. Judging by my logbook today, I do believe I can narrow it down to my coax.



I logged 18 QSOs (threw out two because the call signs aren't showing up in the FCC database - I must have misheard the operators). Great day's work - including an amazing QSO with Heriberto in Puerto Rico, as well as KB3RHR in Pennsylvania.

TimeCallBandModeNotes
23:30zKG5PJG14MHzSSB59 to Stillwater OK
23:30zWA5OBV14MHzSSB10w 59 to Phil in Stillwater OK
23:30zWB6YOK14MHzSSB4 miles LOL
23:35zKB3RHR14MHzSSB55 into PA
23:40zKN8TOA14MHzSSB57
23:40zW0MNA14MHzSSB55
23:45zKP4EYT14MHzSSBPuerto Rico - 57
23:45zW0ERI14MHzSSB55 KS
23:45zW5AHA14MHzSSB58 into Tipulo MS birthplace of Elvis
23:45zKD0MQO14MHzSSB3x3 into Missouri
23:45zK5UQE14MHzSSB57 into LA
23:45zKI4TN14MHzSSB1x1 hard to copy
23:45zK1LIZ14MHzSSB2x2

Quick summary and a 360 shot from Frary:


All good things must come to an end. I packed up quickly as soon as the action died down (didn't even bother with 40 meters). The hike down was just as rewarding as the hike up. I've been struggling with knee problems since September, but I've been climbing a lot of local trails lately and the work is paying off - the soft tissue is getting strong, and the hike down didn't really cause much pain at all.


Looking west, about halfway down.


These are the peaks just above my house - there are 5 SOTA peaks right here, hoping to activate them all this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment