Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Second Radio: Yeasu FT-100

I am officially a member of the amateur fanatics—I own more than one radio! <GRIN>

As I’ve been contemplating accepting an offer to serve as the communications chair for Centerville City’s CERT committee, I have been thinking about my preparedness. I’ve also been encouraging an interest in amateur radio in my children (with varying degrees of success). All of this led me to conclude that I need to get myself a base station. So last week, I visited one of my Elmers (N7UPI) to check out his station and talk about local communications.

One of the big questions I had for John was how to select a base station. Contrary to outward evidence, I am TRYING to limit my investment. As we chatted, I told John I wanted a mobile station, so I could provide support for ARES. At the same time, I wanted a base station which would allow me to communicate around the world, in hopes that I would draw my sons’ interest. He picked the radio to do both—the Yeasu FT-100.

Let me preface that by explaining that you can drop a LOT of cows for a base station (probably five figures, if you looked really hard). And mobile stations are usually limited to VHF/UHF frequencies (2m and 70cm being the most prevalent). I was looking to pack a whole lotta radio into a small package; turns out, Yeasu beat me to it!

You probably need to understand that Yeasu has been building radios for years, and that the FT-100 has long since been retired. So I’m talking about a used radio here. The current standard produced by Yeasu is the FT-857D. For $900, you’re getting one heck of a radio. Powerful enough in terms of bands, features, and functionality that you can use it as a base station, yet it fits in a mobile situation. I was inclined to buy an 857D, but for the $400 I saved, I can buy myself quite a few antennas. So I’ve opted for the FT-100, trusting that, when I’m all set up and have some cash, I can easily upgrade and still get a fair price on reselling the FT-100.

You can read a review about the FT-100 here: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ft100.html

So far, I found the learning curve to be steep but short. I was up and broadcasting within a few minutes of setting it up, but getting it programmed took a while longer.

Are You Seeking Power?

The biggest benefit – and challenge – to the FT-100 is its power. This little beast will push 100 watts on HF, and 50 watts on 2m. That kind of power doesn’t come for free though, with the radio drawing an incredible 22 amps. The little 10 am DC power supply I borrowed is, well, completely insufficient for the radio. The first time I keyed up the mic, everything just shut down.

So my current home setup is the FT-100, a car battery, and a 10-amp automatic charger. The car battery is stop-gap temporary, and there only because I couldn’t find anything powerful enough to use. I understand this battery won’t last me very long; the next step will be to pick up an RV/Marine battery, which is designed for these long, low-amp draws. But I just happened to have the car battery available, and I wanted to get on the air.

It’s Never Just a Radio

Unless you’re buying a 5-watt HT, you’ll quickly learn that it’s never just a radio… This is one thing I love about the FT-100: it’s nearly self-contained. The other key purchases are an HF antenna, a VHF/UHF antenna, and a couple of cables for each. So far, I have a VHF/UHF antenna and a 50’ cable. Saving up for next month, when I can afford an HF antenna and the fun really begins. I bought a short 8’ antenna which will eventually become my mobile antenna for field days and field deployments.

It could be a lot worse. Most base stations require you purchase an amplifier (to boost your signal), a tuner (to fine-tune your signal to your transmit frequency) and a bunch of other little things. I didn’t just save by going with a used radio, I saved by buying this all-in-one!

Next Steps

I’m already working on next steps. I want to build out my home station like this:

  1. 35-amp DC power supply
  2. Marine battery
  3. HF-antenna and cable
  4. (eventually) solar panel to recharge things

Going Mobile

Next step will be the acquisition of a Yeasu ATAS antenna. This antenna covers HF/VHF/UHF frequencies and mounts to a car. I’ll pick up the antenna, two mounts, and two cables and get things mounted up in my Jetta and my Jeep. Then I’ll be truly mobile.

Field Box

Finally, I’ll be putting together a field box. Next year the family will be participating in the Timpanogos Emergency Response Team. I’ll be at the high camp with my HT; my family will be staffing a trailhead station. As such, they’ll also need a radio. Rather than buying another HT, I think we can set up a field box, which is pre-wired for batteries, meters, etc. My field box will have:

  1. Solar input panel
  2. Inbound amp meter
  3. A second amp meter to measure draw
  4. Small speaker
  5. Radio and necessary cabling
  6. Several UPS batteries
  7. Integrated iPod charger
  8. 12v LED light
  9. 12v outlet

No comments:

Post a Comment